Book signings in conjunction with the 350th New Jersey Anniversary
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum (MHHM) is celebrating the 350th anniversary of New Jersey with book signings by authors whose work explores aspects of the state’s history. On Sunday May 18th we welcome Henry M. Holdenwho will be available to sign and sell his books about three New Jersey airports to museum visitors during touring hours 1pm – 4pm. Visitors may also wish to visit the second floor gallery exhibit “Made in New Jersey: A Celebration of Decorative and Fine Arts” which stars the Museum’s collection of New Jersey stoneware, silver, and artists such as Thomas Nast, A.B. Frost and Edward Kranich.
Mr. Holden will bring three books from the Images of America series about Newark, Teterboro and Morristown airports. Newark Airport was the first major airport in the New York metropolitan area opening in 1928. The art deco administration building served as the main terminal until the opening of the North Terminal in 1953. The administration building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Teterboro Airport has been in continuous use since 1916 and was once the busiest airport in the country. In the 1920s and 1930s, record-setting flights became a national obsession, and many of the flights originated or terminated at Teterboro. Today, the New Jersey Aviation Hall of Fame and Museum is located there. On July 8, 1929, a Morristown newspaper announced the opening of Morristown Airport on Bernardsville Road intended to be the home of the Country Aviation Club under the supervision of Clarence Chamberlin, the second man to fly across the Atlantic Ocean and the first to take along a passenger. The Great Depression halted any serious development of the airport; but after World War II, Morristown Airport began to become a reality. Today, as a general aviation reliever airport, MMU accepts private, corporate, air taxi, air ambulance, training, and military aircraft and ranks 11th in general aviation operations.
Henry M. Holden is a diversified writer, aerospace historian and author. Holden is the author of over 900 magazine and newspaper articles appearing in national magazines. He has been a commentator on the History Channel, and has published 47 books. A former News Editor,in 1996 Holden launched the “Women in Aviation Resource Center“, an online repository of educational, historical, and networking resources for women interested in all aspects of aviation. In 1994, Holden was cited in the United States Congressional Record for his work recording the history of American women in aviation. Also in 1994, he was the recipient of the Author’s Award from the New Jersey Institute of Technology for his book “Her Mentor Was An Albatross”.
Book signings with other New Jersey authors will continue in June, please visit maccullochhall.org for dates. Admission includes meeting with authors, house tours, and gallery visits between 1pm and 4pm. In addition to book signings the Museum is also presenting a speaker series to celebrate the 350th anniversary taking place at 4:30pm on the second Sunday of each month through June. Tickets for Sunday programs go on sale from 1pm on the day of the program, no advance sales. House tours (regular admission applies) take place throughout the afternoon, the last tour ticket is sold at 3pm. Visitors can also enjoy the upstairs gallery exhibit “Thomas Nast Brings Down Boss Tweed,” featuring the political cartoons Thomas Nast created attacking Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall, prior to the speaker programs. Also on display, “Controversies” presents challenging subject matter on New Jersey history topics and events which had national significance: medical experimentation, immigration, and the right to die. A second series of programs, related to the “Controversies” exhibittakes place on the first Sunday of each month through June. Visit maccullochhall.org for more details.
Macculloch Hall Historical Museum preserves the history of the Macculloch-Miller families, the Morris area community, and the legacy of its founder W. Parsons Todd through its historic site, collections, exhibits, and educational and cultural programs. The Museum is open for house and exhibit tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays & Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. Adults $8; Seniors & Students $6; Children 6 – 12 $4. Members and children under 5 are free. The gardens at Macculloch Hall Historical Museum are open Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm and Sundays 1pm – 4pm unless posted otherwise. Please check our website for any holiday closings. Call (973) 538-2404 ext. 10, visit our websitewww.maccullochhall.org find us on Facebook. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum, 45 Macculloch Ave., Morristown, NJ 07960. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State. Macculloch Hall Historical Museum is a nonprofit educational affiliate of the W. Parsons Todd Foundation.