March 13, 2014 FLANDERS, N.J. – Mount Olive firefighters extinguished a
fire in a shopping center rooftop heating and cooling unit before it
could do significant damage. They also discovered wind-caused damage
to the membrane covering the roof.
There were no injuries in the 8:30 a.m. fire at Bed, Bath and Beyond,
30 International Drive South, Flanders. No cause for the fire or
damage estimate was announced.
Firefighters from the Flanders Fire Company #1 and Rescue Squad and
the Budd Lake Fire Company #1 were called to the building, part of a
large shopping center, for a smoke condition. On arrival, they
discovered the burning HVAC unit, one of several on the roof. The fire
was quickly extinguished, resulting in damage to the unit and to two
gas lines that fed the unit. The gas lines were secured and the gas
company was called.
While on the roof, firefighters discovered damage to the membrane that
covers the roof caused by the wind. Budd Lake Fire Chief Robert
Sheard said he couldn’t tell if the two incidents were related.
Roofing experts were on the scene securing the membrane.
Sheard said there was no structural damage and no injuries.
“Our two fire companies worked quickly together to avert what could
have been a major incident,” he said.
In addition to the Mount Olive fire companies, firefighters from
Netcong Fire Department, an ambulance from Hackettstown Regional
Medical Center and members of the Mount Olive Police Department were
on scene assisting with the incident.
Latest posts by MJMedia (see all)
- CCM IT Students Gain an App to Take Full Advantage of Their Learning Experience Program Chair Nancy Binowski Develops “IT Department in Your Pocket” - November 20, 2014
- BE WHISKED AWAY TO NEVERLAND WITH CENTENARY STAGE COMPANY AND THE “HIGH – FLYING” TIMELESS BROADWAY MUSICAL, PETER PAN. - November 20, 2014
- “Be A Santa To A Senior - November 20, 2014