On Fri., Oct. 14, 2016, Michael Caldwell, Regional director, National Park Service – Northeast Region, from left, was joined by Morristown National Historical Park’s (NHP) Chief of Cultural Resources Jude Pfister to unveil the newly restored Stark’s Brigade Monument.
The Stark’s Brigade Monument is in the Jockey Hollow area of Morristown NHP and commemorates the New England brigade of approximately 1,270 men that encamped there during the American Revolution.
The monument is at the brigade’s original 1779-80 encampment site. It was constructed around the turn of the 20th century of field stones, from the original soldier hut fireplaces, and mortar, and includes a simple slate tablet that reads “Stark’s Brigade Occupied this Slope.”
The restoration project was undertaken by National Park Service (NPS) Historic Preservation Master Mason John O’Keefe.